Every year, Beloit College publishes their "mindset" list of "cultural touchstones" that have shaped the lives of the incoming freshman class (who were mostly born in 1988). Here are some of the items on this year's list struck me:
2. They have known only two presidentsRead the whole list here. An in case you're interested, here are the previous mindset lists:
9. A stained blue dress is as famous to their generation as a third-rate burglary was to their parents'.
11. A coffee has always taken longer to make than a milkshake
19. "Google" has always been a verb.
20. Text messaging is their e-mail.
31. They grew up in minivans.
34. They have always known that "In the criminal justice system the people have been represented by two separate yet equally important groups."
38. Being techno-savvy has always been inversely proportional to age.
51. Michael Moore has always been showing up uninvited.
58. Bad behavior has always been getting captured on amateur videos.
64. LoJack transmitters have always been finding lost cars.
74. Ringo Starr has always been clean and sober (who?)
Class of 2002 Class of 2003 Class of 2004 Class of 2005 Class of 2006
Class of 2007 Class of 2008 Class of 2009